This past weekend I played Martha Stewart and indulged in domestication!
Makes about 40 sandwich cookies.
5 cups cake flour (not self-rising), plus more for surface
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
12 ounces (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 large egg yolks
1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons heavy cream, plus more for brushing
¾ cup raspberry jam
¾ cup blueberry jam
2 Tablespoons sanding sugar
- Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl.
- Cream, butter and granulated sugar with a mixer on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in yolks and vanilla until well combined.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with cream and beating well after each addition.
- Shape dough into 4 disks, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (or up to 3 days).
- On floured parchment, roll 1 disk of dough into a 1/8-inch-thick rectangle. Repeat with remaining disks. Stack sheets of dough and parchment, and refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Spread raspberry jam on 1 sheet of dough, blueberry jam on another. Top each with a plain sheet of dough. Refrigerate for 1 hour or freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut out cookies using a 2 ½ inch star shaped cutter, and space 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Brush with cream, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden, 16-20 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks, and let cool completely. If desired, bake dough scraps.
These cookies are YUMMY! And I even messed up the recipe! haha I’m still snacking on them days later!